Monday, February 27, 2012

Love to read what you love

My next blog post was supposed to be about helping your kids learn to love reading, but In Lieu of Preschool beat me to it! So, instead, I'll just share her post: 

Help! My child doesn't like books! -- 25 Ideas to get your little one to love reading

 

 #6 is one of the main pieces of advice I give to parents of early readers: 

 

 Try to choose books that meld with your child's interests

 

 When I was in high school, part of my Psychology course required me to visit a local elementary school once a week. The elementary school teacher paired me up with a little boy who was struggling with reading. So once a week, he and I would go into a separate room and read together. What surprised me was that the teacher didn't give the boy an early-reader book to work on - he gave him an instruction manual to a piece of machinery used at construction sites. 

 The student LOVED construction sites, and the teacher had promised him that once he finished the instruction manual, he would take him to a real construction site. Great incentive! And the little boy really enjoyed what he was reading and wasn't frustrated at the amount of words he (and sometimes I!) didn't know!

 ...

 Do you have a kiddo who shows little to no interest in reading? What kind of advice do you have for parents of similarly-minded children?

No comments:

Post a Comment